Wednesday, 29 August 2012
Rhubarb upside down cake
I made this today for my Mum who had offered to babysit while I went and had my hair done. Rhubarb and ginger is her favourite combo and so this seemed liked a good thank you gift for her!
You will need...
2lb Loaf tin, lined with baking paper
4 sticks of rhubarb, cut into lengths
2tbsp soft brown sugar
85g soft unsalted butter
85g stork for baking
170g caster sugar
170g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
a splash of milk
Toasted flaked almonds and icing sugar to decorate
Pre heat the oven to 160 ° (fan)
1. Place the rhubarb in the bottom of the tin in a nice pattern, I did a checker board effect, and sprinkle over the soft brown sugar.
2. Beat together the butter, stork and sugar until light and fluffy.
3.In a separate bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder and ginger.
4. Add in 1 egg at a time, with 1 tbsp at a time of the dry ingredients.
5. Fold in the remaining flour and add the milk at the end.
6. Spoon the mix over the rhubarb and bake in the pre heated oven for 45 minutes.
7. Turn the cake out onto a plate, sprinkle over the toasted almonds and dust with icing sugar.
A perfect gift for a willing babysitter!
Posted by Sarah-Jane and Cathryn at 10:38